Monday, December 3, 2007

#16 Learning about Wikis

Before doing this discovery exercise, the only wiki that I was familiar with was Wikipedia. Although I have read articles from this website, I usually shy away from it because my children were not allowed to use it for their school projects and research papers.
St. Joseph County Public Library has an awesome subject guide wiki. I could spend hours exploring their site. I really liked their Information Desk and Government sections. The tax information section gave information such as types of tax forms available in the library, books library has to help with your taxes, links to IRS website, etc. I also think that the "ask the library" section is a great way to get patron comments and feedback. A subject guide wiki would be a great asset to any library.
A staff intranet wiki would be a great tool for planning and organizing special events at the library such as summer reading, winter reading, or reading rally. It would also be a place where our strategic planning could be posted along with our progress. It would provide library staff with an easy and efficient way to share ideas and information with co-workers.

No comments: