Tuesday, December 11, 2007

#19 Social Networking

I hate to admit this, but this is my first time to visit MySpace or Facebook. Social networking has never really been my "cup of tea." Maybe it is just old age talking or maybe I have just been living under a rock. I began my exploration of MySpace by checking out one of my co-worker's page. It was really cool. I also knew many of her friends, so I checked out their sites also. On the surface, creating a page did not appear to be too difficult. However, I am just not ready to take that plunge. As I was looking for an old friend of mine (who my daughter thinks is way cool because she is on MySpace), I found a 100 year old lady who happens to have the same name. I guess I cannot use the excuse of being to old to have a social networking site.
I can understand the growing popularity of MySpace among the younger generation; however, I do not feel comfortable with the amount and type of personal information that many teens share. If libraries could reach the teen crowd through a MySpace page, I would be 100% for establishing a presence on this site. Yet, I am not sure how many teenagers would actually want to be added as a friend. I agree with Andrea that the best way to reach our teens is through offering programs that they are interested in not through MySpace.
I also explored the LinkedIn site. I think my husband would be interested in checking this site out. It may be a great tool for job seekers (especially for someone past their prime).

No comments: